Cranberry-Walnut Toasting Bread
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 45 min.
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 cups dried cranberries or cherries
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups all-purpose flour, oats, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, salt and yeast. In a small saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Stir in the cranberries, walnuts and enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Shape into loaves; place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. To serve, cut into thick slices and toast.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 198 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 206mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 28, 2013
Loved this bread. It was a heavy/hearty bread. Just what I was looking for in a breakfast meal. The taste surpassed mostof the cranberry walnut breads I have purchased at stores