Cranberry-Apple French Toast
My husband's breakfast club at work raves about this make-ahead French toast. Pop it in the oven in the morning to get your day off to a sweet, bubbly start. —Mara Faulkner, Martinsburg, West Virginia
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min + standing
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 3 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 6 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 loaf (1 pound) challah or egg bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- Mix first four ingredients and 2 teaspoons cinnamon; toss with apples and cranberries. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla and remaining cinnamon. Dip bread in egg mixture to moisten; place over fruit, overlapping or trimming slices to fit. Pour remaining egg mixture over bread. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Remove baking dish from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Uncover; bake until bubbly and lightly browned, 10-15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 295 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 126mg cholesterol, 197mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry and Apple French Toast in Simple & Delicious December/January 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.