The walnut flavor really comes through in this nicely textured loaf from Ginny Rice of Oshkosh, Wisconsin. "It's delicious, moist and excellent for toasting," she adds.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Bake: 3-4 hours
Makes1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
Editor's NoteWe recommend you do not use a bread machine's time-delay feature for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 135 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 168mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Walnut Bread in Quick Cooking September/October 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.