Date-Nut Apple Cake
WE have enjoyed this recipe for many years. It was given to me by a college friend. It looks like a standard fruit cake, but the rich, moist texture of apples, dates, raisins and nuts makes it a very satisfying dessert. A slice of this cake, topped with whipped cream, whipped topping or a big scoop of ice cream will have your guests coming back for more.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling
- 1 package (8 ounces) chopped dates
- 1 cup raisins
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a small bowl, combine dates and raisins. Add 1 tablespoon flour and toss to coat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the baking soda, salt and remaining flour; add to creamed mixture alternately with boiling water. Stir in the apple, walnuts and reserved date mixture.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 461 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 497mg sodium, 79g carbohydrate (54g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Date Nut Apple Cake in Reminisce October/November 2006