Best Angel Food Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups egg whites (about 9)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Sift 1/2 cup sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- Place oven rack in the lowest position. Preheat oven to 350°. Add cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 115 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 68mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
May 14, 2018
first ever angel food cake I have ever made. Easy and yummy!
Mar 30, 2018
This is a wonderful recipe for angle food cake. It is a little stickier then some other recipes but the batter had no trouble reaching that lofty angle food cake texture. I was concerned after reading some other reviews since I used turbinado sugar so I put the sugar and flour in the vitamix to give it a finer consistence. I also use a little more almond and a little less vanilla because I am using this cake in a trifle. Great recipe, I would make it again.
Mar 5, 2018
This cake is delicious. It turned out perfect the first time I made it. No need for boxed cake mix when this recipe is so easy.
Feb 27, 2018
I've made this recipe 3 times, its been perfect every time. I've served it with strawberries and whipped cream, yum, not a crumb left??
Jan 8, 2018
I made this cake after reading all the good reviews. I was very disappointed in the way it turned out ... quite dense and dry. It baked fine and came out of the pan easily enough, but we didn't care for the texture at all. I use organic sugar which is not very fine, so that may be the problem. Perhaps this requires super fine sugar.
Jan 5, 2018
I've tried MANY angel food recipes, and this turned out better than any I've tried. It was moist and looked as beautiful as the picture! It was a little stickier when cutting, but it made for a moist, delicious dessert! Thanks for a great recipe! :-)ttfn999- I made it Denver with no changes, and it was perfect!
Dec 7, 2017
It was dry as ever and tasteless
Dec 6, 2017
Can you make cupcakes out of this??
Nov 6, 2017
Delicious! I substituted 2T cornstarch with rest of cup all-purpose flour per cup of flour because I did not have cake flour and it turned out great. We frosted with TOH Fluffy White Frosting.
Nov 6, 2017
Delicious! I substituted 2T cornstarch rest all-purpose flour per cup of flour because I did not have cake flour and it turned out great. We frosted with TOH Fluffy White Frosting.