Best Vanilla Cake
There's a reason why this vanilla cake recipe is the best. Adding creamy vanilla bean paste into this moist, rich cake batter creates a power-packed vanilla flavor that can't be bought in stores. Try spreading the Best Vanilla Buttercream frosting on top to finish it off. —Margaret Knoebel, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups cake flour
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl mix sour cream, vanilla paste and vanilla extract until combined. Let stand 10 minutes. Line bottoms of 3 greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment; grease paper.
- Sift cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together twice into a large bowl. Add butter and canola oil; beat until mixture is crumbly. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sour cream mixture just until combined.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely. Frost cake as desired.