Vanilla Ring Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over cake.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 466 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 132mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
May 19, 2019
After reading all the reviews I still don't know how anyone got flavor. After my first try the texture was great just no flavor. I tried it again this time adding almond extract as well as the vanilla I did end up with a much better flavor. That's my last try. Honestly nothing to write home about very disappointed
Mar 14, 2014
This cake doesn't have much flavor. What little flavor it does have just isn't my taste. Might be better with a chocolate or strawberry glaze.
Jan 3, 2014
Maybe it was my oven- but I baked for 55 minutes and it was way too dry- taste was ok- but will bake 5 or 10 minutes less next time
Nov 24, 2013
This was very good. The only adjustment was that I used half butter flavored shortening and half regular. I didnt have buttermilk so I mixed a cup of milk with 1 TBSP of lemon juice let sit for 5 min before using it. It came out very light and fluffy.
Apr 18, 2013
This cake is simple to make but definatly lacking in flavor. It is way too sweet and I even took out a quarter cup of the sugar. The batter mixed up so nice and fluffy and I was excited to see the results but was ultimately dissappointed. My kids who love everything I bake even said this wasn't their favorite. A simple strusel coffee cake is loads better. This cake is not worth the calories. Wont be making again.
May 21, 2012
Surprisingly delicious cake. Even though the recipe explains extra vanilla extract, I admit I was a bit skeptical but I followed the instructions and it was great. Also it very easy to make.
Jan 23, 2012
This was easy to make and my family loved it...even my husband who isn't a sweet eater!! It will be a new favorite for us!!
Sep 21, 2011
Very good cake; a bit on the sweet side, but then again, it is a cake! I think this could also easily be made into a lemon ring cake by substituting lemon extract for the vanilla.
Jul 11, 2011
This cake was too dense. Didn't taste right without any salt to add depth of flavor.
Jun 16, 2011
The cake was delicious and very moist. Beating the shortening and sugar well created a fluffy cake good even w/o drizzle. Tasty w/ strawberries.