My Best Oatmeal Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1large Eggland's Best egg, room temperature
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Place oats in a small bowl; add boiling water. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Add oat mixture and egg; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to creamed mixture and beat until combined.
- Pour into an 8-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 296 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 13, 2012
It gets 4 stars for flavor and texture, but loses one because I can't imagine how anyone got a bundt cake out of it! Would love to know why a fluted pan is necessary as I had a very smalll amount of batter once it was mixed, and it barely took up an inch's worth of space in my pan. I think I'll just put it in a square pan next time.That said, it had a lovely texture and was very delicious. (It's almost gone and I just made it last night.) I used whole wheat white flour, and used 2 heaping teaspoons of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg, and a 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice. A really tasty treat, but definitely not the size & shape I expected after looking at the photo. Will definitely make it again though, it's a huge hit.
Oct 5, 2011
Should have realized that the cake would turn out to be very flat. Perhaps my bundt pan was too big. However, even if the pan was to large, the quality of this cake is very poor - too moist and lacks flavor. Also, directions should have indicated to flour the pan as my cake stuck to the bottom in a few places. All in all, a poor recipe.
Mar 29, 2011
Made this for the second time substituting Splenda for baking for the white sugar, white whole wheat flour for the white flour and an extra 1/4 tsp. of cinnamon plus 1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice. A little healthier, a little spicier, more my personal taste.
Aug 8, 2010
Delicious! Not too sweet, and moist. Will try with whole wheat flour to make it even healthier