Family-Favorite Oatmeal Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, soda and cinnamon; add alternately to the creamed mixture with buttermilk. Fold in the oats, raisins and nuts.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 232 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 151mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 19, 2017
Soft & cake-like. Very good!Probably could add a bit more oatmeal & I also added some chocolAte chips to mine.
Oct 7, 2016
We liked these very much.They are softer then the ones I have made in the past and I like that.I did add more oats and left out the raisins as I don't care for them..but I did add more nuts because we love nuts.I will make these again.
Jun 19, 2012
These cookies were pretty good. I thought they needed more oatmeal and more raisins. They were moist and almost cake like. don't think I would make them again unless I adjust some things to my own taste.