Family-Favorite Oatmeal Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, soda and cinnamon; add alternately to the creamed mixture with buttermilk. Fold in the oats, raisins and nuts.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 232 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 151mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 19, 2017
Soft & cake-like. Very good!Probably could add a bit more oatmeal & I also added some chocolAte chips to mine.
Oct 7, 2016
We liked these very much.They are softer then the ones I have made in the past and I like that.I did add more oats and left out the raisins as I don't care for them..but I did add more nuts because we love nuts.I will make these again.
Jun 19, 2012
These cookies were pretty good. I thought they needed more oatmeal and more raisins. They were moist and almost cake like. don't think I would make them again unless I adjust some things to my own taste.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.