Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- In a saucepan, cook raisins in water over medium heat until plump, about 15 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid. Add enough water to liquid to measure 1/2 cup. In a bowl, cream shortening, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Stir in raisin liquid. Blend in dry ingredients. Stir in raisins and oats. Add nuts if desired.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls about 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10 to 12 minutes or until light brown.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 161 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 133mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 21, 2013
Wonderful cookies. Yup, this is a keeper,.
Dec 20, 2012
It was ok, but my husband and I thought it a little dry. It was missing something to make it moist.
Nov 3, 2011
Very good flavor and bake up nicely.