Dark Chocolate Layer Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups brewed coffee, cooled
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 16 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, buttermilk, coffee, eggs, oil, chocolate and vanilla until well blended. In another large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into buttermilk mixture until blended.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, combine the cream, sugar and corn syrup in a small saucepan. Bring to a full boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate and butter until melted.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate until desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 816 calories, 41g fat (17g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 569mg sodium, 112g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 11g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 5, 2014
SOUNDS LIKE IT WOULD BE A REALLY GREAT RECIPE FOR CHOCOLATE CAKE, HOWEVER THIS IS BY NO MEANS "HEALTHY" WITH 17 g OF SATURATED FAT.
Jun 25, 2013
Just like it came from a bakery! This was so chocolately and the texture was perfect. The batter will be thin, but don't let that fool you. It is a perfect chocolate cake. I wanted a white icing so followed the recipe and used white 'chocolate' instead of the semisweet. Be sure to whip the icing, after it has cooled, to thicken the consistency. I made two 9" layers, and added whipped cream (stabilized with Oetker Whip-it), between the layers. It was absolutely delicious. Looking for an excuse to make another one.
Jun 7, 2011
In the cake, 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted. Frosting, 16 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped. Thats the amount of chocolate listed. (This was to the person that didn't know how much chocolate was in the recipe). Hope that helps!
May 7, 2011
The reason this was in Light & Tasty was because they did a makeover version on the same page in the magazine. This one must have accidentally gotten switched with the healthier version on the website.
May 6, 2011
Best chocolate cake ever. I put vanilla icing on it instead. Family loved it.
Apr 1, 2011
I haven't seen a lot of recipes in the Light and Healthy magazine that would really fall into that catagory.
Jul 18, 2010
Why is this under "healthy" category? 112 g of carbohydrate will make even the healthiest person's blood sugar soar. Also 816 calories and 41 g of fat is not a healthy dessert.
May 14, 2010
861 calories-- I don't think this is light!!! Somebody made a big boo boo!!
Oct 22, 2009
This is my family's favorite chocolate cake!!!
Sep 14, 2009
the recipe looks good, but how much chocolate is needed? I don't see it listed anywhere on the ingredients.