Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cold water
- Confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Using a spoon, make 3 wells in the dry ingredients. Pour oil into the first, vinegar into another and vanilla into the third. Slowly pour water over all. Beat on low speed until thoroughly combined (batter will be thin).
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 242 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 272mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
May 29, 2020
Add more cocoa and frost it - this is the Wacky cake recipe - google it.
May 21, 2020
Nice to have a cake recipe that doesn't use eggs, butter or milk. I've made this many times and I find I can cut the sugar down to 3/4 cup and it's still great,
May 6, 2020
Great easy fast traybake
Apr 5, 2020
I have never been able to bake right. I would follow recipes and they just wouldn't turn out right. Until this recipe. It came out perfect. It is so easy and delicious. It was definately a hit with the family and will be my go to for sharing.
Mar 7, 2020
My mom would make this cake and call it 'Wacky Cake.' It is very good and so easy to make.
Jan 8, 2020
best vegan cake ever !
Feb 10, 2019
Gonna eat a chocolate bar instead
Jan 29, 2019
The best chocolate cake I've ever eaten. I doubled the cocoa powder and vanilla, but wow! Great for vegans.
Nov 12, 2017
On the first glance at this recipe I was shocked: NO EGGS, NO MILK. As a vegan, I was impressed! It was very tasty also!
Jan 16, 2017
I made this to go with our sunday dinner it was moist and had a nice taste not to sweet my family loved it.