Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cold water
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Using a spoon, make three wells in the dry ingredients. Pour oil into one, vinegar into another and vanilla into the third. Slowly pour water over all. Beat on low speed until thoroughly combined (batter will be thin.)
- Pour into a greased and floured 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 248 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 272mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 10, 2019
Gonna eat a chocolate bar instead
Jan 29, 2019
The best chocolate cake I've ever eaten. I doubled the cocoa powder and vanilla, but wow! Great for vegans.
Nov 12, 2017
On the first glance at this recipe I was shocked: NO EGGS, NO MILK. As a vegan, I was impressed! It was very tasty also!
Jan 16, 2017
I made this to go with our sunday dinner it was moist and had a nice taste not to sweet my family loved it.
Jan 26, 2015
Apr 3, 2014
I love to make this
Feb 23, 2014
My Mom made this for us years ago. We knew it by another name - Krazy Cake. And, she mixed it right in the cake pan. For me, it is one of the best chocolate cakes ever.
Dec 2, 2013
Wow!! This was such a delicious cake! I made it and then lost the recipe. I forgot that I had it in my recipe box on this site. So glad I found it! I am going to make it tomorrow.
Mar 13, 2013
I've made this recipe many times and it always turns out moist and delicious. It's a good idea to grease the pan, line with parchment paper, and then grease and flour the parchment paper in order to ensure that the cake comes out of the pan easily without falling apart. I double the amount of cocoa and vanilla in this recipe also.The last time I made this cake, I used white whole wheat flour, 1/4 C olive oil, and 3/4 cups honey in place of the original ingredients. It was still delicious and this is how I'll be making it from now on (no white sugar or flour means much less guilt for me!)
Nov 14, 2012
Loved by 4 boys and a Dad. I've made this more times than I can count. Only recipe I have found to be better than a box. Powdered sugar really is all you need, I agree.