Chocolate Guinness Cake
- 1 cup Guinness (dark beer)
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 large eggs, beaten, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9-in. springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper; set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, heat beer and butter until butter is melted. Remove from the heat; whisk in sugar and cocoa until blended. Combine the eggs, sour cream and vanilla; whisk into beer mixture. Combine flour and baking soda; whisk into beer mixture until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- 3. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Remove sides of pan. Remove cake from place on serving platter.
- 4. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and cream; beat until smooth (do not over-beat). Frost top of cake. Refrigerate leftovers.
1 slice: 494 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 288mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Mar 18, 2020I made this cake for my birthday celebration last week and, wow, it was a huge hit! Everyone raved about it. It was moist, rich and oh so yummy! After reading reviews for the frosting, I mixed a couple teaspoons of the cream with the cream cheese and sugar, whipped the remaining cream, then folded the two together. Perfection! Thanks again, TOH, for another fabulous recipe!
Jan 1, 2020AMAZING flavor. Rich and delicious. Made it for Christmas and everyone loved it.
Nov 25, 2019So delicious! The guinness gives this cake a rich chocolate flavor that we all loved. The cream cheese frosting was so good I saved the leftover for serving on other desserts.
Sep 5, 2019I've made this for St. Patrick's Day a few different times and it always turns out moist and big hit with everyone!
Mar 28, 2019i made this cake for St. Paddy's day and everyone loved it! it was moist and so good.
Dec 31, 1969
Awesome cake. Love to make
Mar 17, 2018
My guests loved the cake. Easy to make and came out exactly like the picture. Will definitely make again.
Feb 20, 2018
I love this cake and so does everyone else. I've made it twice and each time it sinks in the middle. No one has given me a reason. Would someone please tell me why it sinks and how to fix it.
Dec 31, 1969
My guess would be your cocoa powder, different brands vary in color intensity. This recipe yields around 5 cups of batter, that should easily fit in a 9" springform pan.
Hope this helps!
Recipe Support Specialist
Taste of Home Magazine
Sep 22, 2017
Recipe was a complete success! I followed the it ~almost~ exactly. I substituted all-purpose-flour for cake flour. And I find doing personal sized cakes is much better. Took about 20 minutes for mini cakes in the oven. I also made my own cream cheese icing.
They were ~very moist~, and surprisingly delicious! Much sweeter than I was expecting, which is fine because I LOVE SWEET!
Next time I may make a ganache.