Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- BROWN SUGAR FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the water, mayonnaise and vanilla until well blended. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda; gradually beat into mayonnaise mixture until blended.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. square or 11x7-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, cook and stir the brown sugar in butter until bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in milk. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth. Frost cake.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise may not be substituted for regular mayonnaise in this recipe.
Reduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 416 calories, 19g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 354mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Feb 9, 2020
Dec 19, 2019
This is my favorite chocolate cake recipe. I've used it for years. Sometimes I replace the vanilla extract with pure almond extract it's awesome either way. If I could I would give it 10 stars ! ??
Nov 13, 2019
I think that this cake was way to dry and I don't know why someone would ever think to put MAYONNAISE in a cake it is the nastiest condiment to exist. >:(
Oct 17, 2019
SORRY....YOU CAN DELETE MY PREVIOUS REVIEW....I POSTED ON THE WRONG PAGE!
Sep 20, 2019
Made this cake... saw that nasty review then looked at the others and decided to try it myself... it was such a rich batter !!! Cooked up pretty nice too. Here in Italy the kids love a cake they call a Penguin... chocolate cake cut in half then filled with a layer of Nutella and then by a layer of whipped cream, iced with the same layer... my English students are going to love this. I will post photos after....
Aug 22, 2019
This was the worst cake I have ever made. So very dry. I only put one tsp. Of baking soda and increased the chocolate. Don't bother making this case.
May 15, 2019
This is the best and easiest cake EVER. Make with either quarter cup coca or allspice. Make for guys at work, roughly 40 mechanics...... Forever asking for mayonnaise cake...... I am so glad I decided to try it. Thank you
Mar 10, 2019
Put everything together as directed, but the end result is too much baking soda- I can taste it over and above the chocolate, and even the mayo. I had misgivings about the amount - 2 teaspoons- (and even read that someone doubled the recipe = 4 tsp!!). I would change the recipe - less soda, maybe less water - I don't know - but I've made a choc-mayo cake before, and this is a very different taste and texture. Im giving 2 stars instead of 1 cause i think it has potential, if some changes are made...
Dec 31, 2018
Our dad used to make this cake for us kids . We all loved it
Dec 22, 2018
Great Cake - good recipe. And thank you Sue for sharing your 1950's version, I too remember it! Can't get enough of Mayo cake, it is the best chocolate cake you could ever ask for