Malted Chocolate & Stout Layer Cake
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 2 cups stout beer
- 1-3/4 cups butter, cubed
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup malted milk powder
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- 4 large Eggland's Best eggs, room temperature
- 3-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Irish cream liqueur
- 6 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder
- Chopped malted milk balls, optional
- Grease and flour three 9-in. round baking pans; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine beer, butter and chocolate. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until butter and chocolate are melted. Remove from heat; whisk in milk powder and cocoa. Transfer to a large bowl. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Add sour cream and eggs to chocolate mixture; beat until well blended. Combine sugar, flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into chocolate mixture until blended. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 32-36 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring sugar and liqueur to a gentle boil over medium heat; cook until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Add a small amount of hot mixture to egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Cook until mixture thickens, about 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl with a whisk attachment, cream butter until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Gradually beat in sugar mixture. Add milk powder; beat until fluffy, about 5 minutes. If necessary, refrigerate until frosting reaches spreading consistency.
- Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 2/3 cup frosting. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. If desired, top with chopped malted milk balls.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 821 calories, 48g fat (29g saturated fat), 220mg cholesterol, 760mg sodium, 90g carbohydrate (64g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 3, 2018
I love it my grown nephew and niece and my siblings they love it . From Anne Kimble
Aug 11, 2015
this is a bit labor intense but worth every minute of it. Moist and delicious. It is without a doubt worth every calorie
May 24, 2014
LOL. No rating. Just had to laugh when I saw the calories per serving. Have never seen anything like it before. But it sounds yummy!
Mar 17, 2013