Brownie Batter Oatmeal
We've all grown up eating piping hot bowls of lumpy oatmeal for breakfast, and everyone has favorite toppings to make porridge more palatable. My recipe transforms a ho-hum morning staple into something you'll jump out of bed for! —Kristen Moyer, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: Fresh raspberries and sliced almonds
- Place dates in a heatproof bowl; cover with boiling water. Let stand until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/3 cup liquid. Place dates and reserved liquid in a food processor; process until smooth.
- In a small saucepan, whisk milk, almonds, oats, cocoa and 1/4 cup date puree until blended. (Save remaining puree for another use.) Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla. If desired, garnish with raspberries and sliced almonds.
To make pureed dates: In a heat safe container, pour boiling water over whole pitted dates. Allow to soak for 10 minutes. Drain off water and reserve. Puree dates in food processor until creamy, add as little water as needed to obtain smooth texture.