Basic Brownie Mix
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 5 min.
- 5 cups sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can (8 ounces) baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch of brownies):
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- FOR CARAMEL-NUT BROWNIES:
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted, divided
- FOR CHERRY BROWNIES:
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1/2 cup water
- Frosting of your choice, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa and salt. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 5 batches (about 10 cups total).
- To prepare basic brownies: Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups brownie mix, butter, eggs, water and vanilla. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
- To prepare caramel-nut brownies: Prepare basic brownie batter. Pour half into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Drizzle with caramel topping and sprinkle with 1/2 cup pecans. Top with remaining batter and pecans. Bake and cool as directed. Yield: 9 servings.
- To prepare cherry brownies: In a small saucepan, bring the cherries and water to a boil. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Prepare basic brownie batter; stir in cherries. Pour mixture into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake and cool as directed. Frost if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 238 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Sep 9, 2014
This recipe makes the greasiest brownies I have ever tasted. Just disgusting. There must be a misprint in the recipe. Perhaps it should read a half cup of melted butter instead of 1/2 cup of butter, melted. Those are two different quantities! What a waste of time to make the mix!
Aug 1, 2012
Simple, easy, delicious! Basic recipe that can easily be adapted to suit your mood! A keeper! A++! :)
Apr 18, 2012
LOVE this recipe. So quick and easy to have on hand and the brownies are delicious!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.