Fudgy Oat Brownies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 package fudge brownie mix (13x9-inch pan size)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons hot water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir in butter until combined. Press into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10-11 minutes or until puffed and edges are lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, prepare brownie mix according to package directions for cake-like brownies. Spread batter over crust. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For frosting, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Immediately stir in the confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons water and vanilla until smooth. Add remaining water; stir until smooth. Immediately spread over brownies. Cool on a wire rack until firm. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 brownie: 217 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 131mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 18, 2017
I love the oat crust. And the homemade frosting beats any store bought frosting hands down!
Apr 8, 2017
Absolutely super moist brownies!!!
Mar 10, 2017
I found these to be quite good, but not as outstanding as they'd need to be for me to remake them with the extra work. I have a frosted brownie recipe that I much prefer.
Mar 8, 2015
These brownies are always a hit! They are easy to make especially using your favorite brownie mix. Sometimes I cheat and use bought chocolate frosting that I melt a little before spreading on.
Oct 9, 2014
I made these today at my work, which is a private lodge and I supply a lunch dessert daily. I am always on the lookout for brownie variations. These were delicious! very unique, to have an oat cookie base. I made my own favorite brownie recipe to top them, and a whipped ganache for the frosting. I needed a large amount, so I doubled all ingredients. Thank you for a great recipe!
Aug 16, 2014
Used the Five Star Brownie recipe here instead of a mix. AWESOME!!
Jul 8, 2014
These were so indulgent. I added chocolate chips to the brownie batter and frosted with peanut butter frosting. They looked very pretty and tasted even better. Great way to jazz up a boxed brownie mix. A winner!
Jun 29, 2014
I recall preparing these brownies when they appeared in the 2005 Brownie Contest for Taste of Home! I'd greased and floured my baking pan (13x9x2") and I'd used 3-1/4 cups of confectioners' sugar! I plan to use this recipe again! It's a great recipe to use and for me, it's a keeper! delowenstein
Feb 21, 2012
Everyone LOVES these brownies. They disappear in a flash!
Aug 22, 2011
This is my all time favorite brownie recipe! I make them a lot for our youth group or church events and I never come home with left overs!