Fudgy Oat Brownies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 package fudge brownie mix (13-inch x 9-inch pan size)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons hot water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir in butter until combined. Press into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10-11 minutes or until puffed and edges are lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, prepare brownie mix according to package directions for cake-like brownies. Spread batter over crust. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For frosting, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Immediately stir in the confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons water and vanilla until smooth. Add remaining water; stir until smooth. Immediately spread over brownies. Cool on a wire rack until firm. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 brownie: 217 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 131mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Sep 18, 2017
I love the oat crust. And the homemade frosting beats any store bought frosting hands down!
Apr 8, 2017
Absolutely super moist brownies!!!
Mar 10, 2017
I found these to be quite good, but not as outstanding as they'd need to be for me to remake them with the extra work. I have a frosted brownie recipe that I much prefer.
Mar 8, 2015
These brownies are always a hit! They are easy to make especially using your favorite brownie mix. Sometimes I cheat and use bought chocolate frosting that I melt a little before spreading on.
Oct 9, 2014
I made these today at my work, which is a private lodge and I supply a lunch dessert daily. I am always on the lookout for brownie variations. These were delicious! very unique, to have an oat cookie base. I made my own favorite brownie recipe to top them, and a whipped ganache for the frosting. I needed a large amount, so I doubled all ingredients. Thank you for a great recipe!
Aug 16, 2014
Used the Five Star Brownie recipe here instead of a mix. AWESOME!!
Jul 8, 2014
These were so indulgent. I added chocolate chips to the brownie batter and frosted with peanut butter frosting. They looked very pretty and tasted even better. Great way to jazz up a boxed brownie mix. A winner!
Jun 29, 2014
I recall preparing these brownies when they appeared in the 2005 Brownie Contest for Taste of Home! I'd greased and floured my baking pan (13x9x2") and I'd used 3-1/4 cups of confectioners' sugar! I plan to use this recipe again! It's a great recipe to use and for me, it's a keeper! delowenstein
Feb 21, 2012
Everyone LOVES these brownies. They disappear in a flash!
Aug 22, 2011
This is my all time favorite brownie recipe! I make them a lot for our youth group or church events and I never come home with left overs!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.