Brown Sugar Oat Muffins
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 35 min.
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Peanut butter and honey, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. Mix first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Add to oat mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 15-17 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes before removing muffins to a wire rack. Serve warm. If desired, spread with peanut butter and honey.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 192 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Oct 8, 2016
First off, thank you for this recipe. I really do like it.Good muffin. Not to sweet, which is great. Seemed a tad dry on the first batch (That is why only 4 stars), but the 2nd time around, I added 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, cut the amount of oil in half, added 1/4 cup ground flax, cut the sugar down to 1/2 cup (Used white, was out of brown both times), doubled the vanilla. Also used unsweetened almond milk. Both times added 1/2 cup of raisins. If I had made these exact changes the 1st time I made them, I would have given 5 stars. Next time, Im thinking adding some lemon juice and poppy seeds. So many possibility with this recipe.
Jul 22, 2016
Great muffin. Hardy texture. I added pumpkin pie spice. Perfect without butter, jam or anything.
Dec 21, 2015
Good muffin that is not too sweet.
Feb 14, 2015
I was looking for a base recipe for oatmeal muffins and this one is perfect! I added in 1-1/2 cups of chopped apples that were mixed with cinnamon and sugar. I also added a streusel to the top, made of flour, brown sugar and butter. The muffins baked up perfectly, they're soft, and taste wonderful. Great recipe!
Jan 21, 2015
Make these often for my family. Men tend to like the heartiness of these muffins, I've found.
Sep 25, 2014
These muffins are nice to serve with jam as a breakfast treat. They also make a nice after school snack. They freeze well too.
Apr 11, 2014
Delicious! Perfect breakfast muffins.
Mar 18, 2014
Great mild oat muffin! I don't feel like I'm serving cupcakes for breakfast! : ) Entire family loves them warm out of the oven and we even renamed these- "Mommy's Good Morning Muffins"
Feb 4, 2014
Aug 17, 2013
I also forgot to add to my last review that I also substituted organic coconut oil (melted) instead of the canola oil.. and they were very light and much healthier for my family. :)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.