Brown Sugar Oatmeal Pancakes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
Makesabout 10 pancakes
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In a small bowl, combine the oats, flours, baking soda, salt and sugar. In another small bowl, beat the egg, oil and buttermilk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle. Turn when bubbles form on top; cook until the second side is golden brown.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled pancakes between layers of waxed paper in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, place pancakes on an ungreased baking sheet, cover with foil and reheat in a preheated 375° oven 5-10 minutes. Or, place a stack of three pancakes on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts2 pancakes: 263 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 433mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Apr 7, 2018
Even though I didn't have whole flour on hand they came out amazing. I see many more of these in my future, but not to many they are a heavy pancake.
Apr 7, 2018
Good either just made or from freezer.
Feb 6, 2018
The best pancakes bar none! I added some Craisins!!! Phenomenal!
Jan 20, 2018
I live alone. Made this recipe. Loved it. Much better than pancakes from a box mix. Loved that they told how to freeze. Soon as they cool they will go In freezer for a good quick breakfast on another morning.
Sep 22, 2017
Okay, so I should start out by saying that I added a few things to this recipe. I made the recipe as listed, and then I added an extra glug of buttermilk, a capful of each almond and vanilla extract, and a very ripe banana. Also I didn’t want to wash my 1/3 cup so I eyeballed the brown sugar. I ended up leaving it in the mixing bowl to soften up the oats for Maybe 5-10 minutes while I started coffee and then threw that batter on a griddle, cooked those puppies up, and inhaled 3 while they were still warm and covered in smashed strawberries and blackberries. The recipe made 9 good-sized pancakes that were soft, fluffy, and tasted a little like banana bread. I’m sold.
Jul 8, 2017
Loved these! Used skim milk lemon juice in place of the buttermilk and half of the brown sugar and these still turned out amazing! Hearty and slightly sweet, I cooked half the batch with blueberries and served the other half plain, topped with fresh berries!!! Definitely a new favorite!
Jul 1, 2017
The name should have given it away but this makes a sweet pancake. Too sweet for me which I'm pretty sure is the first time I've ever said that! It is tasty though. I cooked on a low heat but the pancakes stuck to the nonstick griddle because of the high amount of sugar. If I made again I would reduce the sugar. On the flip side (see what I did there) you don't need much syrup or jam to top them.
May 29, 2017
I liked these, but mine came out kind of dry. Made the recipe exactly, except I doubled it. I may have put too much batter on the griddle for each one. It was very thick, so I should have added a little more buttermilk. Worth trying again though.
Feb 12, 2017
Great recipe ! Will definitely make again
Jan 2, 2017
Very good pancakes. Added about 2 Tablespoons of milk a little at a time. Slightly chewy because of the oatmeal, but tasty and sweet. Needed very little syrup on top. Pancakes we're light but very filling. Will process the oatmeal next time to see if I like them better. Will also add some vanilla next time for added flavor. Added blueberries to the mixture. Also used white wheat flour as that is what I had. Will use this recipe again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.