Brown Sugar Oatmeal Pancakes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
Makesabout 10 pancakes
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In a small bowl, combine the oats, flours, baking soda, salt and sugar. In another small bowl, beat the egg, oil and buttermilk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle. Turn when bubbles form on top; cook until the second side is golden brown.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled pancakes between layers of waxed paper in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, place pancakes on an ungreased baking sheet, cover with foil and reheat in a preheated 375° oven 5-10 minutes. Or place a stack of three pancakes on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high until heated through, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 minutes.
Nutrition Facts2 pancakes: 263 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 433mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 17, 2019
These pancakes are wonderful. The only change I make is I only use 1/4 not packed brown sugar. I also let the batter sit for about 15 minutes and they come out perfect every time. Thanks for the recipe
Nov 10, 2018
I started making these for my family a few months ago. My teenage boys love them, and don't want me to ever go back to my previous (also very good) pancake recipe. These stick with you a little longer. One son eats them with peanut butter on them, one with syrup, and the third with applesauce. Sometimes I use jam. My husband likes them with whatever there is to put on them.
Jul 29, 2018
These are amazing pancakes! We love them in the fall with warm syrup!! YUMMMM
Apr 7, 2018
Even though I didn't have whole flour on hand they came out amazing. I see many more of these in my future, but not to many they are a heavy pancake.
Apr 7, 2018
Good either just made or from freezer.
Feb 6, 2018
The best pancakes bar none! I added some Craisins!!! Phenomenal!
Jan 20, 2018
I live alone. Made this recipe. Loved it. Much better than pancakes from a box mix. Loved that they told how to freeze. Soon as they cool they will go In freezer for a good quick breakfast on another morning.
Sep 22, 2017
Okay, so I should start out by saying that I added a few things to this recipe. I made the recipe as listed, and then I added an extra glug of buttermilk, a capful of each almond and vanilla extract, and a very ripe banana. Also I didn’t want to wash my 1/3 cup so I eyeballed the brown sugar. I ended up leaving it in the mixing bowl to soften up the oats for Maybe 5-10 minutes while I started coffee and then threw that batter on a griddle, cooked those puppies up, and inhaled 3 while they were still warm and covered in smashed strawberries and blackberries. The recipe made 9 good-sized pancakes that were soft, fluffy, and tasted a little like banana bread. I’m sold.
Jul 8, 2017
Loved these! Used skim milk lemon juice in place of the buttermilk and half of the brown sugar and these still turned out amazing! Hearty and slightly sweet, I cooked half the batch with blueberries and served the other half plain, topped with fresh berries!!! Definitely a new favorite!
Jul 1, 2017
The name should have given it away but this makes a sweet pancake. Too sweet for me which I'm pretty sure is the first time I've ever said that! It is tasty though. I cooked on a low heat but the pancakes stuck to the nonstick griddle because of the high amount of sugar. If I made again I would reduce the sugar. On the flip side (see what I did there) you don't need much syrup or jam to top them.