Flaxseed Oatmeal Pancakes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 1 large egg, separated, room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolk, buttermilk, brown sugar, oil and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- In a small bowl, beat egg white on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle coated; turn when bubbles form on top. Cook until the second side is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts2 pancakes: 273 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 357mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat.
Oct 24, 2018
These are excellent and quite heart healthy. Just to cut down on the saturated fats, cholesterol, and carbs even more I used 1/4 c egg whites (beat 1/8c) and substituted 1t stevia for the brown sugar. Saturated fat drops to 1.2g for 2 pancakes, 7.5mg cholesterol, and 25.5g carbs.
Apr 23, 2018
I love pancakes and I’m always trying “healthy” recipes. This is one of the best! I don’t have a beater so I added the whole egg with the wet ingredients, so they’re probably more dense than if I had added the egg white separately, but still great! Will definitely make again!Also- they’re very filling. I had 3 and I’m full (normally eat a lot more than that lol). 2 would be perfect paired with fruit and bacon :)
Jan 7, 2018
I made this into a waffle mix by adding 1-2 more Tbsp. of oil. I used coconut oil. My (70-yr-old) friend said these are the best waffles he's ever eaten!! Light, fluffy, and delicious!!!
Sep 27, 2016
My husband says he believes these are the BEST pancakes he's ever eaten! Plus, we're trying to eat healthy, so- it's a "win-win"! I like mine topped with honey and walnuts.
Jul 3, 2016
Excellent pancake, love the healthy addition of flaxseed! I added blueberries.
May 13, 2014
These were fantastic! I have tried several healthy versions of pancakes and this one is the winner!
Oct 23, 2013
YUM! Great texture and taste. I served them with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and fresh mixed berries on top
Jun 9, 2013
Surprisingly tasty spread with cream cheese and syrup. Double the recipe to feed more than 2 though.
Jul 27, 2011
These were sooo good, my 20 month old couldn't eat enough (literally I had to cut her off). I also ground up the flax seeds, used old fashioned oats, and I realized halfway into the recipe I was out of eggs and it turned out perfect and delicious.
Jun 25, 2011
This is one of the best pancake recipes I've make in a long time. Will make again and again. I put apple syrup and strawberries on top. Yum!!