Cherry-Almond Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs, divided use
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup cherry preserves
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mix flour and 3/4 cup sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Reserve 1/2 cup crumb mixture for topping. Add baking powder, baking soda and salt to remaining crumb mixture. Stir in sour cream, one egg and the extract until blended.
- Spread onto bottom of a greased 9-in. springform pan. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining sugar until smooth. Add remaining egg; beat on low speed just until blended. Pour into pan; spoon preserves over top. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture and almonds.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until top is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack 15 minutes. Loosen sides from pan with a knife; remove rim from pan. Serve warm or cold. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 468 calories, 24g fat (14g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 298mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Sep 9, 2017
I followed the recipe as written and my husband told me that this is the best coffee cake I've ever made.
Jan 20, 2016
The middle was a bit jiggly even after letting it cool completely in the refrigerator. I just told everyone it was "Creamy Coffee Cake" and it went over splendidly! Great flavor!
Jan 16, 2016
I followed the recipe as written. Good flavor, but 60 minutes of baking left it jiggly in the center. Baked it 80 minutes and it was better. The center could have used a few more minutes, but the almonds were getting really brown. Maybe a larger pan would help?
Dec 26, 2015
I have made this recipe several times and everyone that tastes it says its amazing. However, my 4 star rating is based on the fact that I did change one (BIG) thing. Having made a similar recipe before, and reading the reviews, I reserved 1 cup of the crumb mixture for the topping, then followed the rest of the recipe as written. The cake turns out moist and delicious, not dense. This recipe is a keeper, with a "little" tweeking!
Dec 26, 2015
I too had a hard time baking this. It was in the oven at least 80 minutes. It came out still a little jiggly and I was hoping it was cooked inside. It was but it was dense. Would like it to be a little lighter. Good flavor though.
Dec 15, 2015
Sounds delicious! Would like to try with the yogurt, but unclear if delowenstein is using yogurt instead of sour cream, cream cheese, or BOTH. Please clarify. "prescribed amount" of WHAT? thank you ! And happy holidays!Update Dec 24-Made this cake for Christmas Eve--substituted yogurt for sour cream. Unfortunately, it was an absolute disaster. Baked it for 70 minutes, immediately cooled it in pan on rack. It sank in the middle and was like dense uncooked dough. I bake cakes often, and have been, for many many years, cannot imagine what went wrong, I've never had anything turn out like this. Maybe the topping was too heavy and prevented cake from rising..? Luckily, I had tried and true cookies nearby.
Dec 2, 2015
I go along with the previous reviewer-this recipe is wonderful! The cake came out just as pretty as the picture shown in the magazine! I used 1 cup of strawberry preserves! My other adjustments were as follows: I used 1/2 tsp. salt, two 5.3-oz. containers of plain unflavored yogurt, and added the prescribed amount to the reserved crumb topping for this cake! I'd greased and floured 9-1/2" springform pan and baked 50 minutes. I'd used two wire racks to remove bottom of the pan, then carefully turned cake right-side up, with waxed paper on racks to make sure that the coffee cake didn't break! I also agree 100% that it's great to use any type of jam flavor to make this cake! Thank you, Sue Torn, for sharing your recipe with Taste of Home! delowenstein
Nov 17, 2015
This recipe is wonderful and the cake turns out just as pretty as the picture! I love that you can use any kind of jam flavor to make this cake! I used peach jam and it came out great!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.