Glazed Cherry Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size), divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten, room temperature
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups cake mix, flour, yeast and water until smooth. Stir in eggs until blended. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Gently spoon pie filling over top.
- In a small bowl, mix butter and remaining cake mix; sprinkle over filling.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, corn syrup and enough water to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over coffee cake.
Apr 4, 2020
It is very sweet. Maybe cut the glaze in half. But the bottom cake part dried out while the top didn't seem cooked enough.
Apr 6, 2019
Super easy to make but my family thought it was too sweet.
Nov 5, 2018
Very good ! I didn't feel like there was enough of the filling though. I might increase a little next time. And I will be trying an apple filling next time!
May 28, 2018
I love the Entemanns raspberry coffee cake but I cannot find it anymore. So I decided to use this recipe to try and recreate it.I added some sweetened flaked coconut to the bottom and top "crust" batters and instead of cherry pie filling, I used a mixed berry pie filling (only 18 oz but that was more than enough filling). I also added a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the bottom crust batter and the glaze. Also added a dash of salt to the top and bottom crust batters and the glaze.It tasted exactly like the Entemanns raspberry coffee cake except it was 100 times better. Thanks for this recipe!
Aug 27, 2016
This was easy to make and came together quickly, start to finish. I like being able to vary the flavor so simply, just by altering the type of pie filling used. The use of yeast gives gives a nice, different texture to the coffee cake. This coffee cake is attractive and tastes great. I love that it uses cake mix - makes it so easy!
Mar 19, 2016
does the yeast have to be prepared first or just pour it in?
Jan 21, 2016
Delicious and very easy. I will definitely make this again. The only change I would make was to make one and one-half times the amount of glaze and I put it on the cake right as it came out of the oven. Next time, I will mix cold butter with the remaining cake mix and sprinkle it over the top. The melted butter mixed with the remaining cake mix turned into batter which I just evenly dropped by tablespoonfuls over the top of the coffee cake. That was good, but a true streusel topping would be good, too.
Aug 31, 2015
Took to church potluck ; reminded one person of coffee cake his grandma made. Loved it!
Dec 16, 2014
My whole family liked this. I added some nutmeg and almond extract to the cake batter. Left the glaze off. It is sweet enough without it. Just dusted it with powdered sugar.
Mar 7, 2012