Cherry Almond Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 4 cups pitted canned or frozen tart red cherries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- Drain cherries, reserving 2/3 cup juice in a saucepan; discard remaining juice. To the juice, add the cherries, sugar, butter and salt. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cherry mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in the almond extract and food coloring if desired. Cool.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; add filling. Make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 436 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 242mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 1, 2017
This is a very good recipe. I like the addition of the almond extract, which is a nice complement to the cherries. It tastes delicious served with vanilla ice cream.
Jul 28, 2013
Great recipe for traditional cherry pie
Dec 13, 2012
This is the exact recipe my Mom always made and also the first pie I made when I got married 51 years ago, its been in our family a very long time~never fails to make for "Happy"
Apr 9, 2011
This came out in the 1996 Collector's Edition and I've used it ever since. It's the best cherry pie recipe!!
Dec 5, 2010
This is a classic cherry pie recipe that is very good. I think the name is confusing it does not contain almonds just almond extract which every cherry pie recipe has.