Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 cups applesauce
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the egg and applesauce; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cloves. Stir into creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in raisins and nuts.
- Pour into a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 175 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 189mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Sep 26, 2019
This is a great recipe! I added mini caramel chips to it! Soooo good! Perfect for the fall season!
Sep 5, 2019
Excellent recipe! Used a mini loaf pan and baked the 8 mini loaves at 350° for 19 minutes. Very moistened and flavorful, husband loved it
Dec 18, 2014
Love, love, love! The first time I made it, it was gone the first day. The 2nd time I used homemade pear sauce. Again, gone in one day. Today I doubled the recipe, got 4 foil pans (not the mini but next size up). These will be Christmas gifts with my homemade caramel sauce....if I can keep hubby out of them! Delicious! Thank you!!
Dec 18, 2014
You don't need to change a thing, perfect, moist, loved the raisins, reminded me of a bread pudding a little bit. I suppose you could make it without them too.
Dec 1, 2014
I made this recipe with only a few minor changes. I substituted the raisins for dried cranberries, and I used a mini loaf pan that makes 12 mimi loafs. My neighbors loved it.
Nov 12, 2014
This recipe could be improved. The baking powder should be simply 1 teaspoon , and the baking soda should be 1/2 teaspoon. One- third cup of butter is 5 and 1/3 Tablespoons of Butter--a rather bizarre choice-- you can safely use 6 Tablespoons of butter. If you want it warmly spiced, use 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon cloves or allspice.
Jun 5, 2012
so good! i used a little less sugar and skipped the raisins and it was still delicious. next time, i'll add the raisins because i like changing things up for the family.
Aug 31, 2011
This is an excellent recipe. Great texture and taste.
Apr 21, 2011
I was so pleased with this. I will definitely make again but won't use a serrated knife to cut or it falls apart even when it is cooled. I left out the raisins and the walnuts. Fantastic!
Sep 27, 2010
It was easy to make and turned out great. My kids loved it!