Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 cups applesauce
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the egg and applesauce; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cloves. Stir into creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in raisins and nuts.
- Pour into a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 175 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 189mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Dec 18, 2014
Love, love, love! The first time I made it, it was gone the first day. The 2nd time I used homemade pear sauce. Again, gone in one day. Today I doubled the recipe, got 4 foil pans (not the mini but next size up). These will be Christmas gifts with my homemade caramel sauce....if I can keep hubby out of them! Delicious! Thank you!!
Dec 18, 2014
You don't need to change a thing, perfect, moist, loved the raisins, reminded me of a bread pudding a little bit. I suppose you could make it without them too.
Dec 1, 2014
I made this recipe with only a few minor changes. I substituted the raisins for dried cranberries, and I used a mini loaf pan that makes 12 mimi loafs. My neighbors loved it.
Nov 12, 2014
This recipe could be improved. The baking powder should be simply 1 teaspoon , and the baking soda should be 1/2 teaspoon. One- third cup of butter is 5 and 1/3 Tablespoons of Butter--a rather bizarre choice-- you can safely use 6 Tablespoons of butter. If you want it warmly spiced, use 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon cloves or allspice.
Jun 5, 2012
so good! i used a little less sugar and skipped the raisins and it was still delicious. next time, i'll add the raisins because i like changing things up for the family.
Aug 31, 2011
This is an excellent recipe. Great texture and taste.
Apr 21, 2011
I was so pleased with this. I will definitely make again but won't use a serrated knife to cut or it falls apart even when it is cooled. I left out the raisins and the walnuts. Fantastic!
Sep 27, 2010
It was easy to make and turned out great. My kids loved it!
Jul 7, 2009
Very good. My treat hounds devoured it in 2 days. We subbed dried cranberries and pecans for raisins and walnuts, cuz that's what we had.
Sep 23, 2008
Delicious!! I did reduce the sugar to 3/4 cup (I only had sweetened applesauce) and added 1/2 cup whole wheat flour to 1 cup white flour. Very tasty and a wonderful texture.