Double Cranberry Banana Bread
We love quick breads, and I've found that they freeze nicely if properly wrapped. This is a scrumptious recipe to make before the holidays and freeze for last-minute guests or gifts. —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, divided
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and crumbly. Beat in eggs, banana and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in cranberry sauce, 1/2 cup pecans and dried cranberries.
- Transfer to a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Sprinkle with remaining pecans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Freeze option: Securely wrap cooled loaf in plastic wrap and foil, then freeze. To use, thaw at room temperature.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 289 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 229mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Banana Double Cranberry Nut Bread in Simple & Delicious December/January 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.