Double Cranberry Banana Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, divided
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and crumbly. Beat in eggs, banana and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in cranberry sauce, 1/2 cup pecans and dried cranberries.
- Transfer to a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Sprinkle with remaining pecans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Freeze option: Securely wrap cooled loaf in plastic wrap and foil, then freeze. To use, thaw at room temperature.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 289 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 229mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 20, 2018
Do not, I repeat do not, use an 8-inch loaf pan unless you want a good portion of the bread to ooze over the edge of the pan and finish baking on the bottom of your oven! The bread itself is actually very good but definitely needs to be baked in a 9-inch loaf pan.