Country Fish Chowder
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 3 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, undrained
- 1 can (6-1/2 ounces) chopped clams, undrained
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound fish fillets (haddock, cod or flounder), cooked and broken into pieces
- Crumbled cooked bacon, optional
- Minced chives, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook onion and bacon over medium heat until onion is tender; drain. Add milk, corn, clams, potatoes, butter, salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in fish and heat through. Ladle into bowls. If desired, top with bacon and chives.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 250 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 598mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Jul 9, 2019
This recipe was delicious! I used some of my canned smoked salmon and I loved it. I think pre cooked halibut would be great too.
Jun 13, 2016
Delicious! I made this with King Fish, which I don't really care for, but have an abundance of. The other flavors made a hoe hum dinner, amazing! I drained the corn as well.
Jul 28, 2014
I used an 8 oz. can of clams but otherwise followed the exact recipe. Great flavor!!
Feb 18, 2014
Maybe too much going on with the bacon, clams, fish. Did not like it.
Feb 16, 2014
Very good... will definitely make again. I used Tilapia for the fish instead of cod and did drain the corn.
Feb 15, 2014
I love fish chowder and this one is delicious. I did add a second can of clams because I love them and I don't drain it. The liquid only adds additional flavor. Thank you for this wonderful recipe. I already had some cod so I used that.
Feb 15, 2014
I love taste of home recipe's
May 8, 2012
Awesome and easy to make!! Delicious!
Sep 29, 2011
The recipe was very good just a note that fresh fish dont have a smell older fish does smell fishy
Jan 9, 2011
This was delicious! My husband (not a big fish eater) was very skeptical. I kept reminding him that "we like to try new things, don't we?", but he wasn't convinced so I put him to work cutting the onions and grilling the fish. We cooked the bacon separately, using it as a garnish when plating. I cooked the potatoes separately, too, then added them with the milk to the pot and used my immersion blender to slightly puree the potatoes before adding the rest of the ingredients. I did drain and rinse the clams, only b/c my husband was voicing his worry about it being too "fishy" - but I think next time I won't drain them (I just won't let him see). We used haddock in this recipe b/c it was on sale. My husband proclaimed it delicious and, as he went back for a 2nd bowl, made me promise to make it again.