Simple Shrimp Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup each chopped onion, celery, carrot and sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 pound cooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced potatoes, drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery, carrot and red pepper in butter for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the shrimp, potatoes, broth, corn, seafood seasoning and thyme. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 268 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 901mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 reduced-fat milk.
Jan 11, 2015
Soup was perfect, husband loved it. Had to use plain soy milk, dairy allergy, used fresh potatoes, and cream corn, all I had. Thick, creamy and seasonings were perfect. Will be on our regular Sunday night soup menu.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.