Simple Shrimp Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup each chopped onion, celery, carrot and sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 pound cooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced potatoes, drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery, carrot and red pepper in butter for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the shrimp, potatoes, broth, corn, seafood seasoning and thyme. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 268 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 901mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 reduced-fat milk.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 11, 2015
Soup was perfect, husband loved it. Had to use plain soy milk, dairy allergy, used fresh potatoes, and cream corn, all I had. Thick, creamy and seasonings were perfect. Will be on our regular Sunday night soup menu.