Low-Fat Shrimp Chowder
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 pound red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring the potatoes, broth, celery, onions and red pepper to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 13-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in milk. Gently mash vegetables with a potato masher, leaving some chunks of potatoes.
- Combine flour and evaporated milk until smooth; gradually stir into potato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Return to a boil. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 192 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 130mg cholesterol, 334mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Jan 8, 2017
I added carrots, bay leaf, garlic and corn. I rough cut and cooked the vegetable's in salted cx broth. Removed potatoes and pureed vegs with immersion blender. Cubed the potatoes and added back to broth along with shrimp, corn and spices. Delicious and very easy! My son's favorite shrimp soup.
Nov 4, 2013
I made this about a year ago and just remembered it and wanted to make it again. I really loved it! I took some to my daughter's house for her family and my son-in-law, who had taken some to work for lunch, called me after eating it and raved about it. Going to make again very soon.