Alaskan Salmon Chowder
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth, divided
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 cups cooked salmon chunks or 2 cans (7-1/2 ounces each) salmon, drained and bones removed
- In a large saucepan, cook onion, celery, green pepper and garlic in 1/4 cup broth until tender. Add the potatoes, carrots, seasoned salt if desired, dill and remaining broth.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add zucchini; simmer for 5 minutes. Add the corn, milk and salmon; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 282 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 519mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 9, 2018
I didn't think it was bad, but not particularly flavorful. I did learn the lesson that it is, in fact, possible for canned milk to go bad, so I had to use regular milk. Perhaps that was my error.
Jan 22, 2013
My husband and I have never met a salmon we didn't like -- until this chowder. Husband disliked the texture and I found the unappealing flavor lingering in my mouth until I found some chocolate to get rid of it. We threw it away, something I rarely do. I can't pinpoint the problem, but it just tasted terrible to us. I'm so sorry, because I really wanted to like it.
Aug 8, 2012
I don't have much experience with cooking fish, but this recipe looked easy enough. I only had smoked salmon. I didn't have the green pepper or the zucchini, but this still turned out great. My husband and I enjoyed this with a salad and rolls.
Feb 8, 2012
Aug 23, 2011
I make this for Lent, and I use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and it is always good!!
Jan 10, 2011
Loved it! I did not add any salt and it came out with a very sweet taste. Yummy
Dec 28, 2010
I have made this recipe over and over again over the past several years since I first saw it in Taste of Home magazine. It is one of my favorite soups.
Mar 11, 2010
A good way to get your weekly fish in.
Feb 2, 2009
Very good and easy to make - I use a 32 oz low sodium chicken broth and have a tendency to add a little more of the veggies than is called for - but I like to have leftovers.