Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Bring to a boil. reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-14 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and nutmeg until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into vegetable mixture; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 200 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 561mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 15, 2015
I sometimes substitute cut spaghetti or fine egg noodles for the potatoes. Used chicken broth instead of water or half broth half water.
Feb 11, 2014
Easy to make, good flavor. We added about one cup of shredded Colby Jack cheese. Next time I will use half the amount of pepper.
Dec 19, 2013
Just made this soup again for supper. It is my go to broccoli soup recipe. Easy and we love it. Only thing I do differently is omit the salt and nutmeg and I use an ordinary onion. Delicious!!!
Sep 12, 2013
Really liked this recipe. Great to freeze and reheat too.
Jan 6, 2010
Very yummy! Creamy the way I like broccoli soup.