Loaded Broccoli-Cheese Potato Chowder
For anyone who loves baked potato or broccoli-cheese soup, this is the best of both worlds. If you have bacon lovers, offer crumbled cooked bacon for topping. Then everyone is happy, carnivore or not! —Vivi Taylor, Middleburg, Florida
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours 10 min.
Makes8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 1 package (20 ounces) refrigerated O'Brien hash brown potatoes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- Combine the hash browns and garlic in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, whisk the sour cream, flour, pepper and nutmeg until smooth; stir in stock. Pour into slow cooker; stir to combine. Cook, covered, on low until hash browns are tender, 6-8 hours.
- Add the broccoli and 3 cups cheese; cover and cook until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes longer. Serve with green onions and remaining cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 386 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 921mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Loaded Potato Broccoli Cheese Chowder in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.