Loaded Broccoli-Cheese Potato Chowder
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours 10 min.
Makes8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 1 package (20 ounces) refrigerated O'Brien hash brown potatoes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- Combine the hash browns and garlic in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, whisk the sour cream, flour, pepper and nutmeg until smooth; stir in stock. Pour into slow cooker; stir to combine. Cook, covered, on low until hash browns are tender, 6-8 hours.
- Add the broccoli and 3 cups cheese; cover and cook until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes longer. Serve with green onions and remaining cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 386 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 921mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Oct 15, 2019
Excellent recipe! Easy to make! Fresh cubed potatoes worked well too. Perfect for a busy day!
Oct 12, 2019
Can you cook on high and shorten the time?
Sep 29, 2019
I made this yesterterday. I added a yellow chopped onion with the hasbrowns. It was wonderful. Husband said its a keeper. I will definitely make it again.
Sep 24, 2019
I made this today, however I added some better than bouillon chicken flavoring, used full fat sour cream and without the bacon. This recipe is a keeper. Wish I would have thought of the sourdough bowls. What a great harvest time soup. This one goes in the recipe card file.
Sep 22, 2019
This does sound really good -- but I don't have a slow cooker (or room to store one). Wish there had been directions for those of us who want to make this on the stove. Maybe another site can tell me how to convert this temperature and time wise? I'll be back to really rate it when I've made it. Thanks for the recipe!
Sep 22, 2019
I made as described, except used double the broccoli florets. This was absolutely delicious. Everyone loved it. I served it in sourdough bowls too. This recipe is definitely a keeper!