Garden Vegetable Chowder
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes6-8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup each diced potato, celery, cauliflower, carrot and broccoli
- 3 cups water
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute green pepper and onion in butter until tender. Add the vegetables, water, bouillon, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Combine flour and milk until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add parsley. Just before serving, stir in cheese until melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 308 calories, 20g fat (14g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 1083mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 22, 2016
A make again recipe. I did not have broccoli so doubled up the cauliflower. Also used a low fat milk and less cheese to make it a little less fatty. Perfect for a cold night.
Dec 2, 2015
Oct 13, 2014
This soup is so delicious...only thing I did different for me is I roasted the broccoli and the cauliflower in the oven on a cookie sheet for about half an hour while the rest of the soup was cooking. Also added a little minced garlic to the sauteing veggies. Will make this again and again. Also served the cheese on the side....it really doesn't need it ...
Apr 2, 2013
First time I made this exactly like the recipe - found it bland. Second time I added Cajun seasoning & hot sauce, much better.
Feb 22, 2013
Very good. I used less cheese though and very sadly did not have any broccoli. But it still was wonderful. I also added some Italian sausage to the hubby's bowl and he loved this.
Feb 19, 2013
I used 2 cups of cheese rather than 3. Delicious!
Oct 9, 2012
Just made this last night. It was good, but I can't say it was the best...I'd add cheese gradually to see how much you want. I added it all at once and thought it was way too cheesy (and I adore cheese!)I also added chicken since I had it thawed out. It was yummy, just less cheese for me!
Aug 3, 2012
Yum this is really good chowder. I used fat free milk and 2% cheese. The rest I left exactly the same. It turned out perfect, nice thick and creamy. Good amount of cheese. Even my 4 year old son scarfed down 2 bowls.
Feb 5, 2011
We loved this! Our 18 month old finished her bowl and asked for more two times! With all the veggies, I was happy to give it to her.
Jan 26, 2011
It is the BEST chowder recipe I have ever had. We eat it a lot every winter season.