Coconut Chicken and Shrimp
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup lime-flavored seltzer water
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1-1/4 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (6 ounces each), cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Salt and pepper to taste, optional
- MAUI MUSTARD:
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1/2 cup red pepper jelly
- 3 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together first five ingredients. In another shallow bowl, combine coconut and panko. Dip shrimp in batter to coat. Dip in coconut mixture, patting to help coating adhere. Repeat with chicken.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 350°. Fry shrimp, a few at a time, until golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with chicken. If desired, sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- For mustard, mix together pineapple, pepper jelly and stone-ground mustard. Combine shrimp and chicken; serve with Maui mustard.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 659 calories, 31g fat (14g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 735mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 4g fiber), 29g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 3, 2018
This was delicious! We rarely deep fry but I have to say this was worth the extra calories. I liked the combo of the chicken ans the shrimp since we don't all eat shrimp. The dipping sauce was sweeter than expected. I would probably decrease the pineapple and use more red pepper next time.