Asparagus Chicken Stir-Fry
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup sherry or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted cashews
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup hot cooked rice
- Place asparagus in a steamer basket; place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 5-7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 teaspoon cornstarch and egg white until smooth; add chicken and toss to coat. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken in oil for 4-5 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Place the remaining cornstarch in a small bowl; stir in the sherry or broth, soy sauce and sugar until smooth. Gradually add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in the cashews, onions and asparagus. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 478 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 723mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 42g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2-1/2 fat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 23, 2012
I made this for the first time and absolutely loved it. My husband is a chef and agreed, it is an awesome recipe! The sauce is incredible, and I substituted cornstarch with flour (because I didn't have corstarch on hand) and it was still delicious. I loved the sauce so much I used a ton of it, so I am going to make twice as much next batch! I highly recommend trying this recipe out, it does not disappoint!
Apr 18, 2011
made this for me and my sister, only I added some mushrooms as well, and it is delicious. I made a bit extra and we ate it all :)
Oct 7, 2010
I make this in bulk now that we've tried it. It is THE BEST stir fry I have EVER made for myself/friends.
May 5, 2009
Loved this dish. I added about 3 times the asparagus called for, though. It balanced out the amount of chicken vs. asparagus.