Mushroom Spinach Omelet
"I lightened up this savory dish by using olive oil, one regular egg and three egg whites, explains Arlene Hammonds of Gray, Tennessee. "For a change of pace, I like to mix diced celery and parsley with different cheeses."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 egg
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup torn fresh spinach
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and egg whites. Add cheeses, salt, pepper flakes, garlic powder and pepper; mix well. Set aside.
- In an 8-in. nonstick skillet, saute the mushrooms, green pepper and onion in oil for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add spinach; cook and stir until spinach is wilted. Add egg mixture. As eggs set, lift edges, letting uncooked portion flow underneath. Cut into wedges. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1/2 each: 110 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 489mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Spinach Omelet in Cooking for 2 Summer 2005
May 26, 2018
This was delicious, but also healthy!
Jan 14, 2017
I made this precisely as directed and measured everything and it is delicious!!! I give it a full 5 stars but it's way better!!