Celery Zucchini Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules or 1-1/2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 medium red potatoes, cut into small chunks (about 1 pound)
- 3 cups fat-free milk
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- In a large saucepan, saute onions and garlic in butter until tender. Add celery and carrots; cook and stir for 4 minutes. Stir in the water, bouillon, salt and thyme. Add potatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in milk and zucchini. Bring to a boil. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Gradually whisk into soup. Return to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 175 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 651mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 fat-free milk.
Jan 4, 2012
I used a regular small sweet onion, only used 3 red potatoes and it was a little thin so I did another batch of 2 tbsp. cornstarch and water to thicken up more. Was a little bland to our taste so I added some black pepper and red pepper flakes and also added a half jar of real bacon bits. It really added some extra flavor, turned out very good.
Jul 29, 2011
I tried this recipe as a way to use up some extra zucchini......both me and my husband like it alot.