Parmesan Artichoke Soup
This unique cream soup has a splendid flavor combination of artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes and Parmesan cheese. —Malee Jergensen, Murray, Utah
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 jar (7-1/2 ounces) marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), chopped
- In a large saucepan, saute the celery, onion and carrot in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the flour, thyme, salt and pepper until blended; gradually add broth. Add bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; whisk in the cream, cheese, artichokes and tomatoes. Bring to a gentle boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until flavors are blended. Discard bay leaves.