Parmesan Artichoke Soup
This unique cream soup has a splendid flavor combination of artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes and Parmesan cheese. —Malee Jergensen, Murray, Utah
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 jar (7-1/2 ounces) marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), chopped
- In a large saucepan, saute the celery, onion and carrot in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the flour, thyme, salt and pepper until blended; gradually add broth. Add bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; whisk in the cream, cheese, artichokes and tomatoes. Bring to a gentle boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until flavors are blended. Discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 473 calories, 43g fat (25g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 936mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Artichoke Parmesan Soup in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.