Parmesan Potato Soup
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + cooling Cook: 20 min.
- 4 medium baking potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 6 cups milk
- 3/4 to 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Pierce potatoes with a fork; bake at 375° for 40-60 minutes until tender. Cool, peel and cube; set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended. Gradually add broth, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add potatoes; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add milk and cheese; heat through. Stir in bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 280 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 800mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 9, 2016
We love this soup. Once the autumn chill arrives, soups become a favorite dinner item and this one never fails to satusify. Always made exact to recipe and even better the next day.
Jan 24, 2015
I loved this soup! My wife loved it more. I haven't made it yet this winter and she's been asking me to non-stop. I followed it pretty closely the first couple times I made it. The one change I do make now is I add just a touch of the bacon grease to the base. It doesn't take much but it really brings the bacon flavor out in the soup, and every man loves bacon!
Sep 11, 2014
This was a wonderful recipe. I was truly surprised because I didn't have enough milk. But it didn't matter. I had never made potato soup before, but this will be a regular recipe in my kitchen!
May 25, 2012
easy to follow directions with great flavor!