Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Combine oil and garlic; brush over both sides of eggplant slices. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes; turn. Bake 5 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- Place half of the eggplant in a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the basil and Parmesan cheese. Arrange tomato slices over top; sprinkle with remaining basil and Parmesan. Layer with half of the mozzarella cheese and the remaining eggplant; top with remaining mozzarella. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-7 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 275 calories, 21g fat (6g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 164mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 9g protein.
Oct 31, 2015
this is a simple and very good summer recipe even for those that don't like eggplant
Sep 10, 2015
Very good recipe! The only thing I did differently from the original recipe was to lightly salt and pepper the tomato layer. Very tasty and low cal and carb!
Sep 5, 2014
Great recipe. Loved that it was low carb. Made it according to recipe except used low fat mozzarella, asiago instead of parm, and Italian seasoning instead of basil (what I had in the kitchen). Hubby said he would not eat unless made traditionally (breaded and fried). He really liked it!! Definitely a keeper in my recipe box.
Aug 28, 2014
Excellent - love it !!!
Aug 12, 2013
Delicious. We plan on making this several more times this summer with eggplant, tomatoes, and fresh basil from the farmers' market. Yum!!
Aug 10, 2013
We found this recipe very bland. Would add marinara sauce next time and maybe some oregano with the basil. Liked the fact that it's baked though so may give it another try.
Jul 1, 2013
Exceptionally good recipe. Not the greasy egg dipped Eggplant Parmesan from the past. It's just perfect, especially if you can afford to indulge in fresh mozarella (I got it for less than half price today!). I made this in 2008 for a friend who loves Eggplant Parmesan and fatty foods, and he dubbed this the best ever. :) The fresher ingredients, the better.
Jan 16, 2013
These were delish and my kids actually tried eggplant and loved it!
Nov 14, 2012
This is perfect. Next time I'll have to make some meat to go with it for my meat loving husband. The kids and I loved it though and my husband ate it.
Jul 22, 2012
My Husband loved this! Now, I did tweek it a bit.....I put my homemade sauce on it instead of just the tomatoes, and layered it with mozzarella and parm, like the traditional way. Roasting the eggplant was wonderful....thank you so much for this recipe! It will be a staple in my family.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.