The Best Eggplant Parmesan
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours Bake: 35 min. + standing
Makes2 casseroles (8 servings each)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup pitted ripe olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 small eggplants (about 1 pound each), peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cartons (15 ounces each) ricotta cheese
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves or 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook garlic in oil 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, olives, basil, capers, pepper flakes and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 45-60 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, for eggplant, place flour and eggs in separate shallow bowls. In another bowl, combine bread crumbs, garlic powder and oregano. Dip eggplant in flour, eggs, then bread crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook eggplant in batches in oil for 5 minutes on each side or until tender. Drain on paper towels. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, ricotta, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, basil and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In each of two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes, layer 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce, four eggplant slices, 1 cup ricotta mixture and 2 cups mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle each with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 562 calories, 38g fat (14g saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 778mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 7g fiber), 29g protein.
Sep 4, 2017
We grew eggplant in our garden for the first time this year and when I told friends that I didn't know what to make with them, all said.. Eggplant Parmesan!! I'm thrilled that this is the recipe that I tried. Although it was time consuming and labor intensive it was absolutely AMAZING!! I used up our first-ever eggplants and shared the second casserole with friends! My husband liked it so well that he asked if eggplants were sold at the grocery store and if so, could we get them year round! I will definitely be making this again! Delicious!
May 17, 2017
It's really good. And easy to freeze half of it for a smaller family.
Feb 17, 2016
Truly delicious, loved it and so did all the people that I shared it with. I topped it with some fresh mushrooms that I saut?ed in rosemary olive oil, minced garlic, salt, pepper and butter.
Sep 28, 2015
this is simply, the BEST! well worth the extra time. the directions are great. Only change made was to substitute 1/2 panko for the 3c of bread crumbs. Fabulous!! Thank you!
Jul 2, 2015
I followed this recipe exactly as it was written. I definately took note of the folks that stated they broiled the eggplant rather then fried it. However I wanted to try the recipe prior to tweeking it. This was one of the best eggplant parmesan recepies I have made. Next time around I would add more red pepper as I like spicy. I would NOT subsitute a store bought spaghetti sauce.. NOOO WAY :) I used eggplant from our garden. Spend the extra time making this, it's WORTH the time!
Sep 8, 2014
Well, I didn't even follow the Recipe Exactly (close enough though) and it came out to be Better than any "Lasagne" I've ever made - and I'm a pretty good cook..It Helps of course when you use Organic Ingredients throughout - or at Least the Eggplant...first words out of my daughters mouth were "This one's a Keeper." Excellent Recipe - Well Done to the originator.!.
Jul 11, 2014
I love this recipe! I make it every summer with fresh egg plant out of my garden, yum. thanks for sharing this recipe. It really is The Best Eggplant Parmesan.:-)
Sep 24, 2013
This recipe is really good just not that good for you. I lightened it up with light ricotta and 2 1/2 C of cheese per 9x13 pan. I cut the oil back in the sauce but by all means make the sauce it was one of the best parts. I also baked the eggplants after coating them. Put them on a greased sheet bake at 350 for 30 min turning once. I am trying to go gluten free for a while so I substituted gluten free flour. mix for the white flour and crushed rice chex cereal for the bread crumbs. Worked just fine and nobody even knew. My kids ate it and my girlfriends loved it. Will make again.
Aug 19, 2013
Alfoa, almost every eggplant parmesan is cut lengthwise. This is very much likeTyler Perry's recipe from Foodnetwork.com but he doesn't peel the eggplant just trims the ends.
Aug 19, 2013
Just a hint to those who had trouble making the crumbs stick, next time use Panko flecks and press a little.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.