Beefy Eggplant Parmigiana
Total TimePrep: 50 + simmering Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Additional canola oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, saute onion, celery and garlic powder in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Discard bay leaf.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a shallow dish, combine flour and remaining salt and pepper. Place buttermilk in another shallow dish. Dip eggplant in buttermilk, then in flour mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook eggplant in batches in 1/2 in. of hot oil until golden brown on each side; drain.
- Place half of eggplant in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with half of Parmesan cheese, beef and tomato mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Top with remaining eggplant, Parmesan cheese, beef and tomato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 307 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 846mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Sep 13, 2017
I will be trying this today. When making eggplant parmesan, instead of frying in oil, I put it on a sheet pan, sprinkle olive oil and broil on both sides. Saves time as well as fat.
Dec 1, 2016
Delicious! Two hours after dinner and hubby actually said (again) that he really enjoyed tonight's supper. Yes, it did take about 1? hours prep time - but I can probably shave off at least 30 minutes on my second attempt. We WILL be enjoying this recipe again, and again. I'm doing a test freeze on a bit of the leftovers - hope it's successful.
Jul 31, 2016
Love this! It took so long to make (2 hours for me) but it was worth it the effort. I would use slightly less salt (I don't cook with much salt so my taste tolerance for it is low). Have this with a nice green salad, some garlic bread (a small piece because this dish is very rich so you fill up fast) & iced tea. Super excellent!
Sep 20, 2015
I made this because I suddenly remember how much I liked eggplant parmiggiano when I used to live in NYC and my bf never tried it and we had some leftover ground beef and eggplant in the fridge. It took me 1 hour and half to make it but it was worth it. He said it was the best thing I ever made.I didnt add celery as I don't like it, and used sour milk instead of buttermilk because I accidentally bought the wrong thing. Anyway, it came out delicious. Thanks
Jan 3, 2012
My husband was leary at first when I mentioned I was going to make this. That changed the second he took his first bite and he ended up absolutely loving it! I had to use a jar sauce due to time constraints but it was an amazing meal regardless. This is definitely one of our favorite recipes from Taste of Home since we began trying them all.
Jul 12, 2009
Prepared for my family tonight. In fairness to the submitter, it smells wonderful and will probably taste great. However, don't plan on making this one unless you have at least 2 hours to spare. If I like it, I may make it for special occasions. But, for my family and schedule, it just takes too long to make. Also didn't like the fact that you fry the eggplant in so much oil. If anyone has a less fat way of doing it (without it sticking to the pan), please comment.
Jan 19, 2009
YUMMY!!! I love eggplant!!! Thanks for sharing
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.