Artichoke Tomato Bisque
Tomatoes and roasted sweet red pepper pair up to create a fabulous base for this herb cream soup. Serve it as a first course at dinner parties and you'll be amazed at the compliments you receive. —Doty Emory, Jasper, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 30 min
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (7-1/2 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon each dried thyme, basil and oregano
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro or 2 teaspoons dried cilantro flakes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a blender, cover and process tomatoes and peppers until pureed. In a large saucepan, saute the onion, garlic, thyme, basil and oregano in butter and olive oil until onion is tender.
- Add the broths, artichokes, cream, milk, sherry, cilantro and tomato mixture. Bring to a simmer; cook for 10-12 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually add to saucepan. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until thickened; add Creole seasoning and pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 150 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 544mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Tomato and Artichoke Bisque in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011