Chunky Tomato-Basil Bisque
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- In a large saucepan, saute the celery, onion and red pepper in butter for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the basil, sugar, salt and pepper; cool slightly. Transfer half of the soup mixture to a blender. While processing, gradually add cream; process until pureed. Return to the pan; heat through (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 383 calories, 36g fat (22g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 1214mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 4, 2018
This soup is so delicious it takes some prep work but it’s well worth it, made meatballs and a salad to go with the soup delicious meal
Jan 10, 2015
delicious. I did like the celery but left out the onion, red pepper and basil.
Sep 10, 2014
The celery in this soup was a mistake. I reduced it to 4 stalks, but it was still overpowering. I recommend leaving it out entirely or trying another recipe. TOH's "Tomato Basil Soup Recipe" is great.
Sep 4, 2014
I have made tomato bisques before. This one topped the charts. Perfectly seasoned and well balanced in texture. 100 thumbs up to the recipe creator. The only thing I may have changed would be to add another half a cup if fresh basil. I will be enjoying this soup with homemade Croque Monsieurs!!!
Jul 27, 2014
This is a delicious recipe!! Tastes like the tomato basil bisque at one of my favorite restaurants.
Nov 9, 2013
Sep 27, 2013
Rave reviews from both wife and daughter. This is our favorite tomato soup recipe! Outstanding
Feb 10, 2013
Wicked wicked recipe. Tastes amazing. *note: I would add some garlic, adds good flavor. Also, I didn't have tomato paste but ketchup worked just fine! Thanks for this great, simple recipe. Its a keeper!
Jun 14, 2012
I tried this recipe last weekend after having some delicious tomato-basil bisque on vacation hoping I could come close to replicating it. This recipe was awesome and significantly exceeded my expectations! I can't wait to play with some additional flavors (i.e. a touch of crushed red pepper - addition of shrimp or crab as others have suggested). This recipe is most definitely a keeper!
Nov 6, 2011
My husband and I love this recipe. It is absolutely delicious!