Basil-Tomato Grilled Cheese
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 8 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 large plum tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- On four slices of bread, layer mozzarella cheese and tomatoes; sprinkle with the basil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Top with remaining bread.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, Parmesan cheese and garlic powder; brush over the outsides of each sandwich.
- In a skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches until golden brown on both sides and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 467 calories, 27g fat (9g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 723mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 31, 2014
Made for guests . All loved!
Oct 28, 2012
Very good. Hubby wanted seconds, which is unusual, so it MUST be very good. Easy and a nice fresh lunch.
Aug 22, 2012
An excellent way to use fresh tomatoes and basil from the garden. I used ciabatta bread, which made them pretty tall, so I would recommend a panini press or George Foreman grill if you have one to keep the ingredients together
Nov 3, 2011
This is a great grilled cheese sandwich! Perfect for adults, especially. Lots of flavor and very filling.
Sep 26, 2011
What a treat! Made a terrific lunch. My sister in law and all the kiddos loved it!
Sep 11, 2011
Simply amazing, melts in your mouth. I even made it with rye bread as it's healthier and that worked really well.
Jan 19, 2011
I was so excited to make this, and it turned out to be a huge disappointment. It was alright but not worth the tedious time and effort.
Dec 19, 2010
Wow, this is really yummy. But holy cow that's a lot of fat and calories!!
Jul 18, 2010
Best grilled cheese I ever made. Extra special with fresh basil from my herb garden.
Jun 15, 2010
Delicious! I baked my own fresh italian bread to use in this recipe and it was fabulous. I didn't have any balsamic vinegar on hand so I just left it out. My husband and I loved them!