Basil-Tomato Grilled Cheese
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 8 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 large plum tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- On four slices of bread, layer mozzarella cheese and tomatoes; sprinkle with the basil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Top with remaining bread.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, Parmesan cheese and garlic powder; brush over the outsides of each sandwich.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches until golden brown on both sides and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 467 calories, 27g fat (9g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 723mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein.
Oct 31, 2014
Made for guests . All loved!
Oct 28, 2012
Very good. Hubby wanted seconds, which is unusual, so it MUST be very good. Easy and a nice fresh lunch.
Aug 22, 2012
An excellent way to use fresh tomatoes and basil from the garden. I used ciabatta bread, which made them pretty tall, so I would recommend a panini press or George Foreman grill if you have one to keep the ingredients together
Nov 3, 2011
This is a great grilled cheese sandwich! Perfect for adults, especially. Lots of flavor and very filling.
Sep 26, 2011
What a treat! Made a terrific lunch. My sister in law and all the kiddos loved it!
Sep 11, 2011
Simply amazing, melts in your mouth. I even made it with rye bread as it's healthier and that worked really well.
Jan 19, 2011
I was so excited to make this, and it turned out to be a huge disappointment. It was alright but not worth the tedious time and effort.
Dec 19, 2010
Wow, this is really yummy. But holy cow that's a lot of fat and calories!!
Jul 18, 2010
Best grilled cheese I ever made. Extra special with fresh basil from my herb garden.
Jun 15, 2010
Delicious! I baked my own fresh italian bread to use in this recipe and it was fabulous. I didn't have any balsamic vinegar on hand so I just left it out. My husband and I loved them!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.