Grilled Basil Chicken and Tomatoes
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 plum tomatoes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- For marinade, place first five ingredients in a blender. Cut four tomatoes into quarters and add to blender; cover and process until blended. Halve remaining tomatoes for grilling.
- In a bowl, combine chicken and 2/3 cup marinade; refrigerate, covered, 1 hour, turning occasionally. Reserve remaining marinade for serving.
- Place chicken on an oiled grill rack over medium heat; discard marinade remaining in bowl. Grill chicken, covered, until a thermometer reads 165°, 4-6 minutes per side. Grill tomatoes, covered, over medium heat until lightly browned, 2-4 minutes per side. Serve chicken and tomatoes with reserved marinade.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 177 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 171mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Sep 28, 2017
Delicious! Made both the chicken and grilled tomatoes tonight for dinner and hit this one out of the park! Fresh basil is the only way to go. Saw the recipe in the magazine and cut it out to try and the family was happy I did. There was plenty of marinade leftover (after measuring out 2/3 cup to put in Ziploc bag with chicken) to top cooked chicken or green salad. II marinated it in the fridge for about 2 hours or a bit more. The chicken was very tender. This will definitely be going into the dinner rotation. Thx for sharing this Laura!
Aug 24, 2017
I made as directed, but only used 2 chicken breasts. I took the reserved marinade and boiled it down into a thickened sauce. It was delicious, and I froze the rest of the marinade for the future. My husband told me that this is a keeper.
Aug 13, 2017
Made this for a last minute dinner with a side of pesto pasta and it was awesome.
Aug 10, 2017
Using the blender for the marinade is so smart! My guys can be picky about chunks of tomato, so I love that half of them disappear into the marinade. Will be freezing a few batches of this to make on the indoor grill this winter!
Jul 11, 2017
This was so easy. It tasted great. I made this just as it called for. The flavors blended well. Delicious!
Jul 11, 2017
Would you marinade this overnight?
Jul 2, 2017
Be sure to use a blender and not a food processor to mix the marinade. I used 2 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast and doubled the marinade ingredients, and it overflowed the food processor. I cut them into strips before marinating and then threaded onto skewers and grilled. They were tender and good. Next time I will use less balsamic (which was a little overpowering) and use more basil.
Aug 10, 2016
WOW! The reviews are right. This is soooo good! I did cut the recipe in half for just my husband and I, and it worked out fine. Do *NOT* sub in dried basil for the fresh. The fresh basil really brings out the flavors of the dressing. We marinated it for exactly 1 hour, then grilled it. We spooned a bit of the dressing on top after it was done. We are saving the leftover dressing for a side salad on another night. I will DEFINITELY make this again. YUM!
Aug 10, 2015
Delicious! I love to serve this chicken over a salad for a great and healthy summertime meal.
Jul 11, 2015
The chicken had excellent flavor! So delicious! Great way to use fresh basil.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.