Grilled Basil Chicken
This cinch of a marinade gives the chicken lots of Italian flavor. Serve the chicken with a tossed green salad and garlic breadsticks, or put slices on a ciabatta roll along with lettuce, tomato and mozzarella cheese for a zesty handheld meal. —Lisa Moriarty, Wilton, New Hampshire
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- Grilled romaine, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first seven ingredients. Add chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165°. If desired, serve over grilled romaine. Freeze option: Freeze chicken with marinade in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Grill as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast half : 231 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 34g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 fat.
Originally published as Basil Marinated Chicken in Simple & Delicious August/September 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.