Tomato Basil Fettuccine
"The first time I tried this creamy pasta dish, my husband gave it a 'gold star' rating," notes Martha Hightower from Greenville, North Carolina. "I sometimes add chopped cooked chicken."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and red pepper flakes in butter until onion is tender. Add tomatoes and salt; cook and stir over medium-high heat until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Remove from the heat; let stand for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Drain fettuccine and place in a large bowl. Add the basil, Parmesan cheese and tomato mixture; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 236 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 507mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Tomato Basil Fettuccine in Taste of Home December/January 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.