Tomato Basil Fettuccine
"The first time I tried this creamy pasta dish, my husband gave it a 'gold star' rating," notes Martha Hightower from Greenville, North Carolina. "I sometimes add chopped cooked chicken."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and red pepper flakes in butter until onion is tender. Add tomatoes and salt; cook and stir over medium-high heat until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Remove from the heat; let stand for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Drain fettuccine and place in a large bowl. Add the basil, Parmesan cheese and tomato mixture; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 236 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 507mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Tomato Basil Fettuccine in Taste of Home December/January 2002