Easy Spinach Bisque
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- Oyster crackers, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and nutmeg until blended. Gradually whisk in milk and water. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to medium; add the cheese and stir until melted. Stir in the spinach; heat through. Serve with oyster crackers if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 184 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 488mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 3, 2018
We had a soup-er bowl Friday at work yesterday and I made this to take, it was a big winner! Easy to make and the nutmeg is the key. I did use 2% milkso I cut back on the amount of water and increased the cheese. I doubled the recipe to fill the crock pot. Yummy!
Sep 20, 2012
Really good! Made last night for dinner and leftovers for lunch today. I do not care for frozen spinach, so I used 2 cups of finely shredded fresh spinach and it was really good.
Jan 1, 2012
super easy to make
Dec 15, 2010
I used a bit more butter and not quite as much flour to get a better texture and flavor. The nutmeg is what really sets it off! Yummy!
Feb 6, 2010
This was fine...your run of the mill cheesy vegetable soup, but it didn't stand out in any way.