- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- Oyster crackers, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and nutmeg until blended. Gradually whisk in milk and water. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to medium; add the cheese and stir until melted. Stir in the spinach; heat through. Serve with oyster crackers if desired.
1 cup: 184 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 488mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.