Lemony Chicken Noodle Soup
"This isn't Grandma's chicken soup, but it is comforting," assures Bill Hilbrich from St. Cloud, Minnesota. "The lemon juice gives this easy soup enough zip to make it interesting."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups uncooked medium egg noodles
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a small saucepan, saute onion in oil and butter until tender. Add chicken; cook and stir until chicken is lightly browned and meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, carrot, peas and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the noodles. Cover and simmer until noodles are tender, 8-10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 435 calories, 23g fat (6g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 949mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Lemony Chicken Noodle Soup in Taste of Home October/November 2003